Biodiesel Mandate Requirements.
The minimum biodiesel content in diesel fuels required by Minnesota Statute has changed to 20%. The Weights and Measures Division of the Minnesota Department of Commerce wants to help you understand this change.
- For the months of October – March, diesel must contain at least 5% biodiesel.
- From April 1st – 14th, diesel must contain at least 10% biodiesel. (You must deliver B-20 to the tank starting April 1, but the tank does not have to be up to B-20 until April 15.)
- From April 15th – September 30th, diesel must contain 20% biodiesel.
- #1 diesel is exempt from the biodiesel requirement year round.
- The amount of biodiesel required in a #1/#2 blend will depend upon the blend ratio of the two products and the required bio content of the #2 diesel during that time of the year.
What this means for you
The terms Diesel Fuel or Diesel may be used to advertise or identify a dispenser used to dispense diesel containing biodiesel. It must still have the correct FTC label, see the back of this brochure for FTC labeling.
If your boulevard sign advertises diesel, the dispenser dispensing that product must also say diesel. Using the term Diesel by itself will mean it is not #1 Diesel, and must meet the minimum biodiesel content requirements for that time of the year.
#1 Diesel is exempt from the biodiesel requirement year round, and when advertising or identifying it you must use the term #1 Diesel.
Blends of #1 and #2 diesel must be labeled to identify it as a blend of #1 and #2 diesel with terms like Diesel Blend, Blended Diesel, or #1/#2 Diesel Blend. Each component of the blend must contain the required amount of biodiesel.
The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulates labeling for fuel dispensers. The Federal Trade Commission (FTC) regulates labeling for fuel dispensers.
- Dispensers selling diesel blends containing 0% to 5% biodiesel do not need an FTC label.
- Dispensers selling blends containing more than 5% but not more than 20% biodiesel must be labeled as either BIODIESEL BLEND or B20 BIODIESEL BLEND.